TRADITIONAL FARMERS

Traditional Farmers

Glen Alvie Angus is run by the McDonald family who were settlers from Scotland, disembarking in Portland in Western Victoria in the early 1850s. Our branch of the family moved to Rutherglen. By 1903 their farming success led to the establishment of the beautiful Vinelea homestead which is now heritage listed by the Shire of Indigo (picture) In those days before recent climate change there was mixed farming around Rutherglen including dairying, cropping, vineyards, and sheep and beef farming. Some of the McDonald family still remain at Rutherglen and are leading wine producers. Other members of the extended family ran butcheries delivering meat to the miners in the goldfields around Rutherglen in the goldrush on the 1890s. There remains little of the goldfields today but the mullock heaps (the clay tailings) still remain visible in the Carlile landscape. Until the 1960s one of the extended family was a butcher in the main street of Rutherglen. Another member of the family headed for Melbourne later to become the state MP for Preston. The family tradition continued on both sides of the family tree. Wallace McDonald married Elise Elridge and farming continued on the banks of the Murray River, around lake Moodmere and in Hopetoun Rd Rutherglen, a property still owned by the family today.

In 1986 it was decided to move the principal operation to South Gippsland with its more reliable rainfall. Today the farming is carried on mainly from Glen Alvie near Leongatha and with out-paddocks in Yarram and Gelliondale, which have warmer coastal winters. 

history of glen alvie angus